Monday, April 4, 2011

Origins

"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read; and in so living as to make the world happier and better for our living in it." - Pliny the Elder

When you die, how will you be remembered? Will you fade into the background or leave a lasting impression? Will you, in the quest for power and legacy, be distorted along the way like so many 'freedom fighters' and third-world dictators? If in a position of authority, will you fear your subjects and fear losing power?

 I suppose I ought to start off the blog with a few of the reason why I'm beginning it.

First of all, it's to keep a record of what I do. For it's going to be a long life and I'll be able to look back on my thoughts with fondness. Plus when I become old and deranged and power-mad, a Bond villain true to form, I might be able to have a wake-up call.


Second of all, it's to get my thoughts straight. Just like some times when people tell you about their problems. They're not looking for a therapist, for a 3-step solution to whatever ails them. Just a friend that can say "I get it. It's going to be OK" and will listen to your 10-minute rant about what Susan said to you about your dress. Or hair. Not that I've got much of either of those.

Thirdly, it's an opportunity to share what I've learned with whoever wants to read. Spark some interest. Gain some insight. Get some motivation to do whatever.

And finally it's a motivational tool. If I'm going down a tough track it can keep me honest and keep me from kicking off my shoes at the end of the day and play Black Ops or Dragon Age for umpteen hours. I can focus on the things that really make a difference to myself and the world. Also, it lets people who are interested encourage me on, which I truly appreciate but do not require in any way, shape, or form.

As for the title: Viva la rEvolution. My old handle on AIM was based off of revolutionary, for two reasons. First, I loved DDR. It was fun. Secondly, I've never been one to accept the status quo or accept things that people say without my own thoughts going into them. Now this makes me a peculiar case for going into the military, but so be it.


But that's not the only reason I picked this title. I'm a big fan of self-improvement. Now although it gets a bad rap, taking the "Ten Steps to Making The World Alright" and cheesy sounding affirmations like "I am a good, beautiful person. I love me. People love me." and working it into a complicated system of self-delusion, it's got some good nuggets of truth to it.

Change is superficial. You can change back at any time. But evolution is permanent. Much harder, mind you.

Maybe my life is an entire intro story to a few seconds when I hold life and death in the palms of my hands. But I'm going to be ready for those moments. I have to be. So now I seek glory. Not in doing things that will be written about. Not in writing things that will be read or talked about. But true glory. Doing things worthy of being written of, and writing things worthy of being read.

And this is my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment