Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Practicality and Motivation



It doesn't matter what you think. It matters what you do.

Kind of an ironic post, writing down thoughts on how little they matter.

I've been working on a few things; getting 6 hours of sleep, working myself up to a marathon level, learning German, learning to meditate, and taking time each day to reestablish my direction. With that in mind, I can use this as a conduit to keep myself motivated.

I start a project, and it's absofuckinlutely awesome. Yeah! I'm gonna do this! I'm gonna learn German, learn to do a handstand, I'm gonna learn how to skip around picking four leaf clovers, spurt rainbows out of my eyeballs and piss excellence at 5 liters per second!!!

But then the initial excitement fades out, and I'm left off where I was. Looking for something else to throw myself into.

I've had that once, and it was an addictive feeling - having responsibility and an opportunity to do something worthwhile. I worked my ass off, and it felt good.

Maybe this blog can serve to keep me motivated, to have people out there to stoke the fire and make sure I don't go cold. It could be a pacing thing, it could be that I don't have anything riding on my goals, or it could be some other thing entirely. Either way, I want to feel that spark of motivation.

We'll see how that plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment